plaque-webA Glimpse Back

SHUC was born in very simple beginnings. An out-building on the grounds of what is now Shaughnessy School was the first place SHUC folks gathered in 1923. It started with opportunity for children to learn — a tradition that continues to this day. Gradually the desire for a full-fledged congregation and a building inspired people.

 

The original sanctuary circa 1950

In 1927 the Church Hall was built and first services began by the end of the year. As the congregation grew, more space was needed. A gym was added. After World War II young families sought out the church as a place for worship, learning, and community activities. A new building was planned. In 1954, the new sanctuary with a huge lower level for Church School was dedicated.

For the rest of the twentieth century, the congregation experienced the joys and challenges of being a Christian church in Canada. The beginning of the twenty-first century sees the congregation renewing its vision and re-committing itself to being a vital sign of God’s presence in the community and world. As a 75 year old congregation, we trust God to lead the way.